- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, sugar and salt.
- Using your fingers, work the butter.
- Add the egg; stir to combine, use hands to bring dough together.
- If the dough is dry, add water.
- Shape dough into a ball, wrap in plastic film.
- Refrigerate the dough until thoroughly chilled, at least 45 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare the filling: mix the sugar, ground cinnamon and flour in a large bowl.
- Stir in apples.
- Cut off a third of the dough and set it aside.
- Place the dough in a pie plate.
- Fill with apple mixture.
- Top with remaining dough and press the edges together firmly to seal.
- Trim off the excess pastry, pressing edges together to seal.
- Make a few small holes in the centre of the pie with the tip of a knife.
- Brush crust with water, and sprinkle with 1 tablespoon sugar.
- Cover edges loosely with foil.
- Bake for 40 to 50 minutes, removing foil during last 15 minutes of baking.
- For the dough:
- 2 1/2 cups (350g) all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (50g) sugar
- 8 tablespoons (225g) butter
- 1 egg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- For the filling:
- 1 kg apples, sliced and peeled
- 2/3 cup (140g) golden caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon