- In a bowl, put all fruits and mix them with 3 tablespoons of Brandy or Armagnac; let stand 12 hours.
- Preheat oven to 275°C (135°C).
- Sift the flour, salt and spices in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the sugar and butter; beat with an electric hand whisk.
- Fold in the lemon zest and add the beaten eggs to the butter mixture; beat with the electric hand whisk.
- Add the fruit mixture into the egg and butter preparation; beat until smooth.
- Grease a fruit cake pan and line with parchment paper.
- Transfer the cake mixture into the prepared cake tin.
- Bake in preheated oven for 3 hours.
- Remove from pan and lift off paper and wrap in waxed paper.
- Store in a cool dry place, you can decorate the cake with icing.
- 225g (1 ½ cups) sultanas
- 225g (1 ½ cups) raisins
- 500g (3 ½ cups) currants
- 165g (1 cup) halved glacé cherries
- 110g (3/4 cup) mixed chopped candied peel
- 300g (3 1/3 cups) plain flour
- ½ level teaspoon mixed spice
- ½ level teaspoon cinnamon (optional)
- ½ level teaspoon nutmeg
- 300g (1 1/3 cups) brown sugar
- 250g soften butter
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 6 eggs, lightly beaten
- Pinch of salt
- Brandy or Armagnac