Corned Beef and Cabbage
- Remove fat from the beef and place it in a saucepan.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt, pepper, bay leaf and contents of the spice packet.
- Add enough cold water just to cover the beef.
- Add onion and garlic.
- Cover and bring to a boil; then turn down the heat to low and simmer for 2 1/2 hours or until beef is tender.
- About 30 minutes before the end of cooking, add the remaining salt if needed, carrots and potatoes
- Cover, simmer 30 minutes.
- Remove from the saucepan, remove bay leaf and cover with aluminium foil; keep warm.
- Skim fat from broth and add cabbage.
- Bring to boil; then reduce heat; simmer for about 15 minutes or until cabbage is tender.
- Serve with beef, potatoes and carrots.
- 3 lb (1,3kg) corned beef brisket (package)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 pounds medium red potatoes
- 4 carrots, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 6 wedges
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 tablespoon ground black pepper