Hot Cross Buns
- Pour the currants into warm water.
- In a bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and spices.
- Make a well in the centre and pour milk and butter; stir to combine.
- Add the egg and mix well; stir in currants.
- Knead the dough for about 3 minutes.
- Set aside for at least 30 minutes at room temperature, covered with a kitchen towel.
- Turn the dough out of the bowl and divide the dough into 8 equal portions.
- Roll each piece into a smooth ball on a lightly floured work surface.
- Arrange the buns on a baking tray lined with parchment
- Let rise for about 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- Prepare topping: mix together flour, sugar and water.
- Use a piping bag to draw the crosses onto the buns.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden brown.
- For buns:
- 500g all-purpose flour
- 50g butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 50g caster sugar
- 1 baking powder
- 100g dried currants
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teapsoon mixed spice
- 25cl milk, warmed
- 1 egg
- For topping:
- 25 g all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons warm water