- Preheat oven to 350°F (190°C).
- Cook beef in a large pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, over medium heat.
- Cook until it is lightly browned, then drain the grease and remove the beef from the pan.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pot of water to a boil: add olive oil and salt.
- Cook noodles according to package directions.
- Add onion to the pan and cook for about 5 minutes.
- Add the garlic and return beef to the pan; season with salt and pepper.
- Reduce the heat to low and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Then add the tomato sauce, tomato paste and basil.
- Stir in water, sugar, salt and pepper; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat and cook for 20-40 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- The noodles should now be al-dente.
- In a lasagna dish, spread 1/4 of sauce mixture over the bottom of the dish.
- Cover with 3 lasagna noodles, and a quarter of the remaining sauce.
- Sprinkle with a layer of a third of the grated mozzarella and parmesan cheese.
- Now repeat the process twice, ending with cheese.
- Bake for 45 minutes and allow to cool 10 minutes before serving.
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1 cup parmesan cheese, grated
- 1 pound mozzarella cheese, grated
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 28-ounce can tomato sauce
- 1 6-ounce can tomato paste
- 10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- Olive oil
- Ground pepper
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2/3 water