- Heat the olive oil in a large saucepan.
- Add the onions, carrots and garlic and cook over medium heat for 15-20 minutes.
- Stir in the red lentils, chopped tomatoes, tomato purée, herbs and stock.
- Bring to boil and then cook for 30 minutes or until the lentils are tender and the sauce reduced slightly.
- Add water if you need and season with salt and pepper.
- Keep on low heat.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and add the pasta.
- Cook the pasta following pack instructions.
- Drain and serve pasta in bowls or plates with the lentil bolognese sauce.
- Grate over some cheese and add some fresh basil leaves.
- 500g red lentils
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 carrots, finely chopped
- 2 cans chopped tomatoes
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tomato purée
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 teaspoons fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1l vegetable stock
- Parmesan (or vegan cheese)
- 500g pasta of choice (spaghetti is the best!)