Simple Cottage Pie
- Heat olive oil in a large saucepan and add minced beef until browned, then set aside.
- Put olive oil in another saucepan and add the vegetables.
- Cook on a medium heat for 20 minutes.
- Add the garlic, onion, flour and tomato purée.
- Return the beef to the pan: incorporate wine and bring to the boil.
- Add the stock, Worcestershire sauce, thyme and season well.
- Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered for 20-30 minutes.
- Discard the thyme sprigs.
- Cook the potatoes in a pan of boiling water for about 10 minutes or until tender.
- Drain the potatoes, mash well with the milk, butter and grated cheese, then season with salt and pepper.
- Spoon the beef mixture into a large ovenproof dish.
- Top with potato mixture.
- Bake the cottage pie at 200°C for 20 minutes or until golden.
- 500g lean minced beef
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 celery stick, chopped
- 1 tablespoon tomato purée
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 4 thyme sprigs
- 350 ml beef stock
- Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 900g potatoes, peeled and cut into quarters
- 100ml milk
- 25g butter
- ¼ cup grated tasty cheese